Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ukulele World Record Attempt



I have had a great love of the Ukulele since I can remember. My grandma taught herself how to play when she was young. She told me she used to sit on the banks of the canal and make up songs. Some of them are pretty funny. Her mom also taught her quite a few songs to play. When my mom and aunts came along she had them singing 3 part harmony when they were very young. She would play the Ukey (as she called it)and they would sing along. They are very good and could easily make their own cd! Well if they dont start laughing that is:)They are so funny if 1 of them starts to laugh they all do and then its impossible to get them to sing. Grandma has told me so many times how they would sing for groups and one of them would get the giggles and then it just snowballed. Every Christmas just before we go home for the night grandma gets out the ukey and we sing Christmas songs. Then if we are lucky we get to hear the sisters sing in their beautiful harmonys. Its a memory I will never forget. When I found out my roommate likes to play too it was an added bonus! She is really good and is always playing. We heard of this Aloha Festival that they were having in a nearby town and decided to go. I think next year it will be attended better. This year they didn't do very much advertising so not many showed up. You can see my roommate on the video she is wearing the red hawaiian shirt. They made it on cbs news so that is pretty good!

3 comments:

REBYRYAN said...

I saw her! That's pretty cool!

Katie W said...

What fun memories!!

Amy said...

I love this! People who play the Ukulele are awesome. What a great talent to have.