Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Canning


Salsa!

Pears

Raspberry Jam

Applesauce

Apple Pie in a Jar!

This month has been so exhausting! I have been doing canning every Monday with a few ladies from the ward. It has been really fun and rewarding but A LOT of work! As you can see we have been busy making things. The biggest day we have had is making applesauce. We made 130 quarts which isn't bad considering we were making it for 5 families! Its so good and it brings back lots of memories from my grandma's house. We set up outside because it was so messy. Our Relief Society president is quite something she had this whole area outside set up. There were 5 camp chef stoves and 4 large tables and a camp canopy because of course it was raining the day we did it. It all worked out so great but we were exhausted! The newest thing I have tried this year is apple pie in a jar! Its the cutest thing you have ever seen! I had to steal the picture off the website we got it from because I didn't take a picture. You basically make a small apple pie in a jar throw a lid and ring on it and put it in the freezer. When your craving pie you get one out let it warm up a bit so it doesn't shatter in the oven cook it 40 minutes and walah pie! When I go home for Christmas I told my mom its on our to do list. My dad is always craving pie so this will be perfect for the 2 of them. Other things I have canned this year and didn't get pictures of: spiced apple and pear jam, pear marmalade, apple butter,and strawberry freezer jam. I am so grateful that I was able to help my grandma and mom growing up so I know how to do these things. Its been such a fun thing to do and gives me such a sense of accomplishment.

3 comments:

Ryan Cowley said...

Go girl! That is AWESOME!! See, I really need you to live around here....

junebee said...

I really wish I knew how to can. Maybe someday I'll learn. Looks like you've made some yummy stuff!

Paula said...

This is great Angie! Good job! You are super talented and so sweet to share with others. I love the way it feels after you can!