Saturday, January 23, 2010

Haiti


Here they are getting all the supplies ready to go

Helping one of the hundreds with cuts on his leg. He is so cute!

Helping after they pulled a guy from a pile of rubble.

When I heard of the earthquake in Haiti it made me so sad. The news stories that I see and the papers I read are just heart breaking. I so wish I could do something to help them. A couple of days ago I read about a local doctor from here that was so devastated that he had to do something. I kept reading and noticed that it was a man that I know! I met him and his family when I lived here before so it was great to see a familiar face. The article said that when he heard the news he knew he had to go so he called the church headquarters. They were organizing a bunch of doctors to go over in a few days if he could make it to Salt Lake. Well without even thinking twice he got all of his appointments covered kissed his wife and was off. He is able to call every night and let his wife know he is ok. He said that the devastation there is almost too much to handle. There are so many injured people that he when he first arrived he saw 80-100 people! I thought it was really interesting that although the medical buildings were badly ruined our church stood still. The have converted the church into a hospital since its big enough to separate people. He said that during the day he stays in his doctor mode just fixing people up but at night he cant help but break down. I am so lucky to know such a Christ like person that would sacrifice for others. Its amazing how much our church can rally when things like this happen. Our church sent in 80,000 pounds of food and supplies the first week and its already gone. Keep them in your prayers!

1 comment:

Alex and Anna said...

That is really neat that it was someone that you know. The church really is amazing at helping others. i hope you are doing well!