Friday, October 16, 2009

Come little leaves

"Come, little leaves," said the Wind one day,
"Come o'er the meadows with me and play;
Put on your dresses of red and gold
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

Soon as the leaves heard the Wind's loud call,
Down they came fluttering, one and all;
Over the brown fields they danced and flew,
Singing the glad little songs they knew.

Dancing and whirling the little leaves went;
Winter had called them, and they were content;
Soon, fast asleep in their earthy beds,
The snow laid a coverlet over their heads.

I just love my grandparents! I am especially close to my mom's mom grandma Braegger. She is just the sweetest thing every time I talk to her. She has gone downhill quite a bit and is dealing with dementia and partial alztimers. She has a really hard time remembering things that happen recent. She always amazes me with things she knows from years ago. Today when I was talking to her we were talking about the leaves changing and how pretty they are. Out of no where she just started singing this song. It was so sweet to listen to her and I wish i could have recorded it. She said it was a song her mother taught her and they would sing it in the fall time. I love these special moments that happen every once in awhile. I am glad to have them as memories for when she is gone.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Both my grandmother and my greatgrandmother on my mom's side died from dementia. I love that you are grateful for these little moments where she remembers.

I remember the first time I saw my grandmother(who really half raised us) and she didn't know who I was. We were living in Rhode Island at the time and had come home to visit. My mom had to tell her who I was. When I saw that look in her eye, and knew that she didn't remember me, I took a minute over in the shade of one of her trees and just cried. It was very painful to watch the woman that I loved forget. But she would have these moments of being lucid, where she would remember all sorts of things, and we were just grateful for it. I love the words to that song. I may have to try and find the melody to it.
Thanks for posting this.

Mumsy said...

I sang this song in primary all the time, but I never knew it had a third verse. There is also a chorus; Winter is coming, ho ho ho ho, winter is coming with ice and snow. Winter is coming ho ho ho ho, for summer is gone and the days grow cold.
Kind of depressing to think about, but a fun song to sing. Mumsy

kat said...

That was so sweet. I miss her so much and you are so great with Grandma. I love our moms and all of the little songs they know because of her. I wish I would have memorized more of them. So much a part of who we are and growing up. I love you!

Ryan Cowley said...

I love sweet memories like these!