Friday, March 9, 2012

heart of gold

When I first lived here in Oregon I had a job at a grill and I worked with some pretty shady guys. They were completely opposite of each other. I had mentioned to one of them that I was having car problems. He told me he has a guy that goes to his church that is really honest and good. So I found out who it was and went over there. He reminded me so much of my grandpa. His garage even smelled the same with old books and tools everywhere. I have been going to him since then and know that I really lucked out finding him. That was probably the only good thing that came out of the horrible job at the grill. A month ago I had to get my front brakes fixed and this last week it sounded like they were out again. I called him up and talked to him and he had me come over. Even though he had 8 other cars in front of mine he pulled it in and took a look. He found out that it was now my back brakes that had gone out. I wanted to cry because I knew I could not afford them right now. I asked him how bad it would be to drive with them like that and he said my car shouldn't leave the shop. I told him I didn't have the money right now and didn't get paid till next week. He told me if I could get a ride to work in the morning he would fix them. He said its usually his day off on Saturday but he wanted to make sure I had a car. I almost started crying but bit my lip. I told him once again that I could not afford it right now. He looked at me and said I feel in my heart that your an honest person and will pay me when you can. I could picture my grandpa doing the same thing. He was always fixing things for other people and never taking a dime for it. I was truly humbled by his kindness. To top it off he even took me home since my roommate was not home. I would love to do something for him for all of his extra concern for me. People like that are few and in between.

3 comments:

Katie W said...

That is seriously soooooooo sweet!!! You're so lucky to have found such a great mechanic. Sometimes we have to go through an icky experience to find that blessing.

Paula said...

That's so great Angie! It's nice to know there are still people like this in the world. What a blessing that you found him!

REBYRYAN said...

I wish I could find one like that! That is awesome!