Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa Braegger!


Today is my grandpa Braegger's birthday he would have been 94. Its crazy to think how long he has been gone. Its been an emotional month thinking about grandpa's. After losing one this month and the other having a birthday. I am so glad for their examples through the years. I shouldn't leave my dad's dad out since he is still around. They all served in different parts of the military. Grandpa Glen was in the navy, Grandpa Keith in the Korean war and army. Grandpa Braegger was a Marine and they were all proud of their service. We didn't hear many stories and I dont blame them. I am sure the things they saw were not pretty. In fact some of the things I did hear I dont know how they were able to go on. When Grandpa Braegger passed away we didn't have a military service at the grave and we should have. I really think it was the fact that he was gone in a week. It was such a shock and hard to accept. I feel bad we didn't honor him that way. I know he loved our country and fought hard for our freedom's. I remember him going down to the flag pole to put out the flag. They are all so patriotic maybe that is where I get it from.

At my grandpa Keith's funeral they did do the military service.It was really neat to watch and touching. They have such high respect for the person that died and for their service. I thought it was really cool how they folded the flag 13 times. I knew there would be a meaning to that so I looked it up. It was cool so I thought I would share:

The first fold of the flag is a symbol of life.
The second fold of the flag is a symbol of the people's belief in the eternal life.
The third fold of the flag is made in honor and remembrance of the Veteran departing ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.
The fourth fold of the flag represents the people's weaker nature. For as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him the people turn to in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.
The fifth fold of the flag is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decauter, “Our country, in dealing with the other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong."
The sixth fold of the flag is for where people's hearts lie. It is with hearts that people pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
The seventh fold of the flag is a tribute to the Armed Forces, for it is through them that the people protect the country and flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of the Republic.
The eighth fold of the flag is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that people might see the light of day, and to honor one's mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.
The ninth fold of the flag is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion the character of the men and women who have made the country great molded.
The tenth fold of the flag is a tribute to father, for he too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of the country since he or she was first born.
The eleventh fold of the flag, in the eyes of Hebrew citizens, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
The twelfth fold of the flag, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
Upon the thirteenth and final fold of the flag, the stars are uppermost in remembrance of the United States' national motto, “In God We Trust.”

After folding the flag they kneel in front of the family member and say

On behalf of the President of the United States and the people of a grateful nation, may I present this flag as a token of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service your loved one rendered this nation.
Depending on what part of the military you served in they have different things they say for the different organizations.

Thanks for being someone I can be proud of love you all! Happy Birthday Grandpa!

3 comments:

Katie W said...

What a nice tribute! I can tell you really love and miss him.

REBYRYAN said...

The flag symbolism is really cool. I never knew that even though they did it at my father-in-law's funeral! Thanks for sharing!

Paula said...

Nice post...I think that's my favorite picture of grandma and grampa. Thanks for sharing