Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Southwestern Eggrolls














These are as close as I've found to Chili's Southwestern Eggrolls, though they're really more of a chimichanga. They are still very tasty!



2 chicken breasts, shredded (or canned chicken works too)

1 can black beans

1 can corn

2 cups monterey or pepper jack cheese (cheddar works too, just a milder taste)

1 cup fresh spinach chopped (frozen works too)

1 green or red bell pepper chopped

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

2-4 T chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)

1-2 T cumin (half as much as the chili powder)

1 T lime juice

1 t. salt

20 tortillas

enough oil to shallow fry in

For a fast prep time, put everything but the chicken, beans, corn and cheese in a food processor. Add chicken, beans, corn and cheese. Mix well and roll into flour tortillas. They can be frozen at this point for a quick meal later, or shallow fry them till brown on both sides. Use a toothpick to keep it together if necessary. For a healthier option, they can also be broiled in the oven till crispy.

These aren't nearly as good without the dipping sauce though, so here's the recipe for it:

Avocado-Ranch Sauce

1/2 avocado

1/2 cup ranch dressing

1 tsp lime zest or lime juice to taste

smash avocado and mix together. The lime zest really gives it a great flavor, but since I don't often have limes on hand, when I buy one, I zest the whole peel and freeze it for later use.Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ryan Cowley said...

I have been a blogging slacker, both in the posting department and the reading department. Sorry! Love the pics - especially Pooh Bear! I hear you on the mountain thing. I could never move to a place that didn't have mountains because I would ALWAYS be lost!! We got your valentines yesterday. Thanks!! I still haven't sent ours out but don't blame that on my children. It is their slacker mother. They had them all ready to go a week BEFORE Valentine's Day!

Julie said...

I love chimichangas and i just went to Chili's for the first time on Monday. I didn't have the chimi's since I hadn't read your blog. I will have to try it next time. I had the nachos and they were very good! Especially with the chicken.