Thursday, July 1, 2010

The fourth and memories of grandpa




Just in case you were wondering my favorite holiday is the 4th of July! I love everything Americana ask my family. I am sure they think I am over the top sometimes. Oh well I would rather have this as a weakness then other things:)My grandpa Braegger was a marine in the war. We could never really get him to talk about things since it was painful memories. He watched a few of his friends die right in front of him. He was lucky to come home. Something that I have found very touching is he was at the bottom of the hill at Iwo Jima. He saw them raise the flag to victory. Years later when his birthday rolled around he always said it brought him back to that very day. Such an amazing experience to witness for him and to hear about. I get really choked up every time they play the song for the Marines. I found this really touching video on you tube that I hope you enjoy. I am so grateful for those who have gone before and paved the way! I love the last verse of the star spangled banner it goes:


O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

1 comment:

Katie W said...

The fourth is such a fun holiday!! That was a really touching video. Thanks for sharing.