Monday, July 2, 2012

Relay for Life part 2

This year for relay was really rainy! We got to the school track around 12 and not even kidding as soon as we had our canopy's up it started to rain. We lucked out that we got there when we did. It rained non stop up until midnight and then we had a few hours that is was just a mist. Talk about being cold and wet but it didn't dampen our spirits! We still had a great time and cried and laughed together. The next morning after we had our closing ceremony the sun came out!! It was really hot and muggy after that. I was just glad I was going home to go to bed and didn't have to walk in that weather. I am looking forward to next year already!
This is our team minus a couple of people that hadn't got there yet. The girl with the dark hair on the end and I were co team captains. It was a lot of work for me this year because she ended up moving 45 minutes away. I went to all the meetings for us but she helped in other ways. She isn't going to be on the team next year and I am going to really miss her!
These 2 are such an inspiration! This little boy was diagnosed with bone cancer and not even 2 weeks later his mom found out she had Hodgkin’s lymphoma. They were both out walking the track in the rain.
This is an emotional part of the event. All of the survivors line up and walk around the track and we cheer for them. Some of them have no hair, some are in wheelchairs, some are missing limbs.
Some of them cry the whole time around the track its emotional for them too.
This is our tent site with all the stuff we have for sale. We had a mini bake sale, recipe books, shirts, wooden signs and massages. Our theme for Relay was the magic of Relay dream it hope it cure it. We went with a Disney twist and found some cute decorations.
This is Trish helping put up a tarp to keep the rain out. This is the food booth I did for my fundraiser. I was worried nobody would buy anything since it was really rainy. I had some pretty cute signs that said Mickey's diner. I served Chicken salad crossiants,chips, lemonade and homemade oreo's in the shape of Mickey's head. I sold more then I thought I would and the Mickey oreo's were a big hit!
Trish decided to cut her hair off! All of the sudden she said I am going to cut my hair. They cut 8 inches off and she had 4 ponytails because her hair is so thick! It looks really cute short. I cut mine last year so by next year it will be ready to go!
This is Satina the one I am co captains with. Our team did so awesome this year! WE are at the gold level which means we raised more then 5,000! As of today we are close to 8,000 with what we made at Relay. We also did all of the requirements to be a team pacesetter.
This is another emotional part of relay the luminaria bags. In a couple of pictures back you can see all of our bags stuffed under the table waiting to go out. We sold over 250 bags! We line them up around the track and put sand and a candle in them. They all look so awesome and make you cry when you read some of them.
This is our ceremony we had. They have someone come up and tell their story then we all walk around the track together. They play some pretty emotional songs like wind beneath my wings, hero, survivor. It is very cool to have a chance to remember so many and hope for the best for others.
This is me trying to get warm around 2am. It was so cold and rainy and I was just freezing! It was actually better to be walking around the track cuz at least that got the blood pumping!
This was our last lap around the track. We are suppose to carry our team sign and walk together. We were missing a few people but it was fun to be with those still there. It was an awesome event and I am truly blessed to be apart of it!

1 comment:

Paula said...

What a great thing you are doing! I bet it's an amazing experience to be involved in this great cause. Good job Angie!